Tuesday, August 05, 2008

On the Transfiguration

Forgive me for saying this, but I never really got the whole Transfiguration thing. Seriously.

Until tonight. (liturgically tomorrow)

And God bless Father David, because he made it even make more sense than the hymns were making it make on its own. I know, that's a TERRIBLE sentence, but bear with me.

Here's what I finally understood. Well, two things actually.

First, if it wasn't clear to the disciples, particularly those three, who Christ was, what with all the water-into-wine, voice-of-God-from-the-Heavens, water walking and whatnot, He TRANSFIGURES. He changed. The radiance of His divinity shot out of Him, through His clothes. And just in case any doubts remained, Moses and Elijah showed up and said PAY ATTENTION. This is the ONE. And Christ, in His great love for mankind, said keep this to yourselves, kids, until after I resurrect. You're going to have the world's biggest AHA moment, and I want you to remember this. Remember this when I'm on the Cross and you can't, for the life of you, figure out what is happening. Remember this. I AM GOD.

Second, He is showing us what we are to become, what we should be, what we were supposed to be. If we are in Him and He is in us, we too will be TRANSFIGURED, with the radiance of God's divine light shooting out of us. I am to be this. When I partook of Holy Communion, I took Him in. He entered into me. He will transform me. I will be LIKE HIM. He wants us to be that, to quote Fr. David, to shine brighter than the stars in the heavens, to be higher than the angels.

So, on this day, this day of great change, great revealing, I pray. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Who shone with great light on Mt. Tabor, change me. Make me into that which is a radiant reflection of who and what You created me to be. Through the prayers of Sts. Peter, James and John who stood with You that day, through the prayers of Moses and Elijah who pointed to You, have mercy upon me and save me.

Amen.

3 Comments:

At 10:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your AHA moment as it has, I am sure, spawned other AHA moments (including my own.)

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Mimi said...

A very nice Aha moment indeed!

S'praznikom!

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for an aha moment that ties up some quotes from Jesus that have been rattling around in my head for a couple of weeks, and I'm not even sure where I first heard it.

Tying in the whole transfiguration thing as you have, in John He is describing Himself as the light of the world. In Matthew, He is addressing His disciples telling them that THEY are the light of the world with an admonishment about how worthless salt is that has lost its flavor and that they are to let their light shine for the glory of God.

Your observation how He enters us during the sacrement tied it all together for me! AHA!

Consider:

"I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in the darkness, but have the light of life." John 8:12b NKJV

AND

"You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5-13-16.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home